What tires are you guys running?

Tire sizing and wheel offset.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

What tires are you guys running?

Postby bikerzed » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm about due for a new set of tires, and I'm thinking of getting some new wheels, too. I'm currently running the stock 15" rims with 235/75/15 (stock size 4x4) tires. I really like the look of the 16" x 8" and 17" x 9" 4th gen Trans Am rims, and could get a set at a decent price, but I'm having trouble finding a set of performance summer tires in 235/70/16 or 255/60/17 (sizes I would need for my speedometer to be correct). Is anybody running wheels in this size? What brand and where did you find them?

Thanks!
bikerzed
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.

Re: What tires are you guys running?

Postby lowblazin94 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:58 pm

The odd number size wheels usually cost more when it comes to sizes. 17", 19", 21".

Depends on the look you want and what your wallet can handle and the use of the vehicle.
92 S10 Ext cab
700r4
lowblazin94
TheCowWatcher

Postby bikerzed » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:20 pm

15, 16, and 17 inch tires all seem pretty close in price to me, plus I just dig the look of those TA 5 spokes. I just can't find anything in the sizes I'm looking for in a "sport truck" or "summer performance" tire. I'm looking for something that will give me a little better handling without breaking the bank. I've never looked for anything in 18+, I'm not interested in spending that kind of coin on a rim/tire combo.
bikerzed

Postby mattw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:52 am

Do you still have the stock DRAC in your truck? If so its pretty easy to solder a set of DIP switches in there so that it can be recalibrated for different wheel sizes/gear ratios...

Do that and you aren't so limited in your tire selection..
mattw
My hoist hit me in the head!

Postby bikerzed » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:17 am

mattw wrote:Do you still have the stock DRAC in your truck? If so its pretty easy to solder a set of DIP switches in there so that it can be recalibrated for different wheel sizes/gear ratios...

Do that and you aren't so limited in your tire selection..

Thanks matt. I appreciate the advice, and please forgive my ignorance, but I don't think I have a DRAC. My truck is an 02, and I thought the speedo calibration was in the ECM (I could be wrong). I'd really like to get a set that is the same overall diameter as the stock size, so I don't have to mess with the speedo calibration and I could keep the stock rims/tires for use in the winter.

PS - I get up to Williamsport for work every so often. I'd love to check out your truck sometime.
bikerzed

Postby mattw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:53 pm

I think you are correct for an 02.. It's in the ECM...

Let me know the next time you are in town..
mattw
My hoist hit me in the head!

Return to Tires & Wheels