Push button/Vacuum has to go.

Transfercase, front differential, and lifting tech.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Push button/Vacuum has to go.

Postby jonymacmadcap » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 am

Hello all,

Noob here, so forgive me any posting faux pas.

I have a New-to-me 1992 GMC Sonoma. 4.3L (non-Vortec), 5 sp, 4x4. I plan to drive it for the next two years with the 4.3 in it and keep it alive until the state mandated blow-and-go can be taken out. yes, I am a dumbass.

That being said, as a reward for being a good citizen, I plan to swap out the 4.3 for a 5.7L at the end of my judicial adventure.

While I am no stranger to the engine bay of many vehicles, doing an engine swap is something of a mystery to me. Never done one. So here I am reading, and reading. I am gathering all the information I can now, while I plot the eventual motor, or motor and transmission upgrade.

So here is the fantasy which includes my first question(s).

I want to swap in the 350 cid and keep a manually shifted transmission. I understand that the 5 speed in my truck now, will mate with a 350. However, I understand that the transfer case is electrically actuated and the front differential is vacuum actuated (or by cable if I were to put a cable kit in).

What I need to know is, is there a way to keep the 5 speed, keep the IFS, and still be able to ditch the vacuum/push button actuated 4x4 set up currently in place? or am I asking for a s**t ton of brain damage?

i would like to try to keep from having to do any real fabrication/modification to the truck other than the swap itself and making an access hole in the floor for the transfer case lever. How much extra work would this be on top of the basic engine swap?

What components would be required?

I understand that a normal engine swap is no simple task in and of itself. But I was thinking that if my wish list were actually feasible, I really would like to dothis type of modification at the time of the swap. In for a penny...in for a pound so to speak.

lastly, I guess what I would also say is that I would love it if someone could assist me in putting together the plan of attack on this. I would like to keep an eye on keeping things as simple as possible, and also, try at least, to keep costs as manageable as possible. Please feel free to tell me if I am living in a dream world though. I know that if I throw enough money and time at it, anything is possible. But I would love it if this were possible on a budget of say...$2500 maybe?

Any help, advice, and tips would be gratefully accepted.

P.S.
I live in Denver, so if there are any other mile high neighbors on here, I would love to hear from you folks as well!!!!!!
jonymacmadcap
I found rocker arm monkey's on ebay!

Re: Push button/Vacuum has to go.

Postby dear1700 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:33 pm

On keeping things simple, I think your best bet would be to use an AWD transfer case from a Olds Bravada. 4x4 all the time, no pushbutton. And you could set something up with the front axle to keep is engaged all the time, or use an Astro van front axle I believe. It simple to keep locked all the time, heck its only a cable with spring return.

Just offering my .02
dear1700
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.

Return to AWD & 4x4 tech