Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Racing in a straight line, kickin' up the dirt, or in the twisties.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby NFAman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Son was driving,the truck still needs work. :)


http://youtu.be/ujZZ8WJj_dQ
Last edited by NFAman on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
NFAman
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Akron,Ohio

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14

Postby Memphis » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Not too bad!!! I know he had fun!!! Looking at the time slip, your 60' could use help and the mph seems low for a 12.80. Try experimenting with a tad more or a tad less tire pressure. You want a full rotation or two off the line never dead-hook it kills the launch. It sure looks like it's dead-hooking in the video. The mph should come up 1-2 mph with a better launch. JD

Also try flashing the converter from a foot brake of 1500-2000 rpm's as this will hit the tires harder. If running more air pressure doesn't work then the tire might be too big for the rear gear.
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14

Postby NFAman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks,we went back last Friday,he made some better runs 12.57, 12.58. I have to much tire for the mild motor, but more power is on the motor stand with winter plans.....

Here's another video.
http://youtu.be/3TRQcfV8pUg
NFAman
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Akron,Ohio

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14

Postby Memphis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Memphis wrote:Not too bad!!! I know he had fun!!! Looking at the time slip, your 60' could use help and the mph seems low for a 12.80. Try experimenting with a tad more or a tad less tire pressure. You want a full rotation or two off the line never dead-hook it kills the launch. It sure looks like it's dead-hooking in the video. The mph should come up 1-2 mph with a better launch. JD

Also try flashing the converter from a foot brake of 1500-2000 rpm's as this will hit the tires harder. If running more air pressure doesn't work then the tire might be too big for the rear gear.
NFAman wrote:Thanks,we went back last Friday,he made some better runs 12.57, 12.58. I have to much tire for the mild motor, but more power is on the motor stand with winter plans.....

Here's another video.
http://youtu.be/3TRQcfV8pUg

Sounds cleaner through out the run! There's the MPH I figured would show up with the better launch. What changes did you make?
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14

Postby NFAman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:21 am

I put a new needle & seat in the carb,I'm running 22# in the slicks.I know that's a lot, may try skipping the burnout altogether.That Dodge in the video made the truck look sad, be at lest he red lighted.
NFAman
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Akron,Ohio

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14

Postby Memphis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:40 am

NFAman wrote:I put a new needle & seat in the carb,I'm running 22# in the slicks.I know that's a lot, may try skipping the burnout altogether.That Dodge in the video made the truck look sad, be at lest he red lighted.

Run what ever tire pressure the combo requires to make it work! Try 24# and see how the 60' respondsl; Keep adding until it spins the tires or the 60' starts to slow down then back up a tad. You know it's a trial and error process to see what cuts the 60' time. In the video I think he's shifting around 6500 rpm? What's the combo carb to pan on the engine? JD
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14

Postby Memphis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:00 am

Memphis wrote:
NFAman wrote:I put a new needle & seat in the carb,I'm running 22# in the slicks.I know that's a lot, may try skipping the burnout altogether.That Dodge in the video made the truck look sad, be at lest he red lighted.

Run what ever tire pressure the combo requires to make it work! Try 24# and see how the 60' respondsl; Keep adding until it spins the tires or the 60' starts to slow down then back up a tad. You know it's a trial and error process to see what cuts the 60' time. In the video I think he's shifting around 6500 rpm? What's the combo carb to pan on the engine? JD

After watching the videos several times I've noticed TWO things... The combo likes launching at the higher foot-brake. If you notice in the 2nd video 2nd run, he was able to hold it on the converter close to 2900 almost 3000 rpm's resulting in a better 60' time. I know cutting from a 1.673 to a 1.671 isn't much but it all adds up, especially when you know for everything you can lower in the first 60' cuts 1.8 times the reduction off the 1/4 mile ET!!! :thumbup: Again, not sure what your engine combo is right now but it responded well to more rpm. You'll notice in the 2nd video he actually holds 1st gear to around 6800+ rpm's and it likes it.

I'd still try playing with the tire pressure, foot-brake it as far as the brakes can hold it, then raise the shift rpm to 6800 both shifts. There's more ET/MPH in the combo! :D JD

Note: When comparing the runs on video listen to the gear changes, the higher rpm shift keeps the engine happy. It's called the rebound or recovery after the shift. Watch it closely and listen to how much quicker it responds on the shifts with less doggy recovery. :thumbup:
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby NFAman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:30 am

Heading back to the track tonight (hope the rain misses us). Upped the tire pressure, I'll shorten the burnout to just a clean off.The motor is a 355, 4bolt, old bowtie 2.02 heads. Mild 280/460 cam.750 Holley, 4.89 gear (31" tires)
I noticed it likes higher RPM's but a little worried that it my come apart in a very ugly way. :shock: we'll see........
NFAman
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Akron,Ohio

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby Memphis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:51 pm

NFAman wrote:Heading back to the track tonight (hope the rain misses us). Upped the tire pressure, I'll shorten the burnout to just a clean off.The motor is a 355, 4bolt, old bowtie 2.02 heads. Mild 280/460 cam.750 Holley, 4.89 gear (31" tires)
I noticed it likes higher RPM's but a little worried that it my come apart in a very ugly way. :shock: we'll see........

Good luck log all the changes and results! :thumbup:
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby NFAman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:29 am

Ran last night, I'll get a video up in a day or so, but the times basically are the same. 12.57 I think It's time for major changes (heads and cam or a complete motor) I'll get a tenth or two out of the current combo (jets,timing,tire pres. etc.)
But are goal is low 11's.
NFAman
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Akron,Ohio

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby Memphis » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:07 pm

NFAman wrote:Ran last night, I'll get a video up in a day or so, but the times basically are the same. 12.57 I think It's time for major changes (heads and cam or a complete motor) I'll get a tenth or two out of the current combo (jets,timing,tire pres. etc.)
But are goal is low 11's.

How'd the 60' times change with the air pressure changes? What ended up the best tire pressure? Were you still doing the same burn out? 12.50's is respectable especially if the camshaft is as small as only .460 lift...
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby Memphis » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:17 am

Memphis wrote:
NFAman wrote:Ran last night, I'll get a video up in a day or so, but the times basically are the same. 12.57 I think It's time for major changes (heads and cam or a complete motor) I'll get a tenth or two out of the current combo (jets,timing,tire pres. etc.)
But are goal is low 11's.

How'd the 60' times change with the air pressure changes? What ended up the best tire pressure? Were you still doing the same burn out? 12.50's is respectable especially if the camshaft is as small as only .460 lift...

I was thinking, have you ever tried short shifting it between 5800-6000 rpm's to compare? We built a 377 CID years ago around a valve train "advertised" good between 3200-7200 rpm's and it ran it's best ET/MPH shifting between 6000-6200... :roll: It really depends on how much or how hard the combo pulls when it hits high gear. It could be your drive line is setup to be "Quick" and not "Fast" which means it does most of its work in 1st and 2nd gear and then feels topped out by high gear. While other combo's launch OK then start pulling like a freight train creating a huge top end charge. Or like BIG Torque engines that launch and feel "Flat" with no rush to power but are able to run fast from a powerful yet flat torque curve.

I'm curious, see if you can find out the specs on the camshaft your running.

Another area you may verify is fuel volume, once you start running faster than say mid to low 12's inertia or G-force have a big effect on fuel flow. I assume your running an electric fuel pump? Try this test.... unhook the fuel line at the carb and do a free flowing test. Get a clean 1 gal milk jug or equivalent, make sure your able to free flow 1/2+ gal of fuel in 15 seconds this guarantees your not going to go lean on the top end until at least deep into the 10's. Another area is fuel line size, when you get closer to running an 11 or faster it's best to step up to 1/2" or -8 fuel lines. One way to test if your fuel lines are sufficient for the flow you require is to open the regulator fully; regulator open free flowing there should be 2# or less of pressure on the gauge. If you get a higher than 2# reading it indicates a need for larger lines. When plumbing your regulator, on a return style fuel system (Best type) it's far more efficient to install the regulator after you feed the carb! :shock: It sounds counter intuitive but the carb will still only see the pressure set at the regulator with the benefit of not being restricted by the tiny orrfice in the regulator. JD
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby NFAman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 am

Thanks for the reply, My son took the time slips home to study. I'll get them and the video this week. I have the cam specs I'll dig them up.
The fuel line is 1/2 inch, but I'm running a mechanical pump. Never tried short shifting, it seems to pull to 6500.
NFAman
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Akron,Ohio

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby Memphis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:15 am

NFAman wrote:Thanks for the reply, My son took the time slips home to study. I'll get them and the video this week. I have the cam specs I'll dig them up.
The fuel line is 1/2 inch, but I'm running a mechanical pump. Never tried short shifting, it seems to pull to 6500.

Here's an example to compare:
I built a .030 350 with the #3970010 4 bolt main block with:
Hyperuetectic flat tops hung on factory rods with ARP bolts.
Cast steel crank turned .010/.010
HV oil pump

750 Holley on a Performer RPM intake
#487X casting big valve heads with only minor port cleanup, gasket match, with stainless valves.
Long slot stamped steel rockers from Renegade
Howards Cam .470/.470 @.050 .221/.229 Adv 286/296 LSA 110 ICL 106

Note: This engine would easily turn 7000 rpm's without hesitation! Perhaps saw 7200 rpm's when I was mad at the transmission for not shifting, (maybe? lol). The issue is there's no way the engine was still in it's power band revving this high. That cam .221/.230 will be all done by 5800-6000 rpm's and would run faster shifting there. I had this engine in a 1977 C10 step side with a 2200 stall and 3.73's and it was a beast on the street!!!! The moral to my story is just because it revs high doesn't mean it should. Think about it and get back with me with those cam specs. Thanks JD
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby Memphis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:19 am

NFAman wrote:Thanks for the reply, My son took the time slips home to study. I'll get them and the video this week. I have the cam specs I'll dig them up.
The fuel line is 1/2 inch, but I'm running a mechanical pump. Never tried short shifting, it seems to pull to 6500.

I saw the many runs in the video on your youtube channel. It's hard to tell much because I can't see the tach and there's so many back to back runs. The time slips will be interesting... JD
User avatar
Memphis
I make engine noises when I post.
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Raymore, MO.

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby NFAman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Went to drags last Friday (7-14-17) here is a short video. Made a few changes dropped to 430 gear and went to electric fuel pump. Ran 11.57 at 116 MPH .Test and tune night. not worried about cutting a light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gL_qhP6QxU
NFAman
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Akron,Ohio

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby XXXXXXXX » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Nice!! :thumbup:

X
82 S10 Longbed.. stock 305.. b&m 144 blower.. 7lbs.. stock 801 heads.. dyno'd 194rwhp...holley 750dp.. percys adjust a jet in the front & rear.. headman 1 1/2 shorty headers.. 2 1/4 dual exhaust with hooker aero chambers.. msd with boost timing master.. 2500 stall .. 700r4 .. 3.73 posi fact s10 disc brake rear end.. caltracs.. 275/60/15 Nitto Extreme 555 drag radials
XXXXXXXX
I use a rag as an 710 cap
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Re: Test & Tune 7-11-14 (And 7-25-14)

Postby Rickracer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:32 pm

SWEET!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 7.76 in the 1/8th, 12.24@109.27 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it one of these days... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech
Master Swap Tech
 
Posts: 28798
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:02 am
Location: Kissimmee, Fl.


Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest