Superior VS. Performance Rod&Custom Radiators?

Water pump, hoses, fan, and radiator & A/C

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Superior VS. Performance Rod&Custom Radiators?

Postby Nick_R_23 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Does anyone here have personal experience with either of these two companies’ radiators? Looking for one that fits inside the core support and has the offset fill neck, and both of these guys offer ones that fits the bill. Both are supposed to be fully TIG welded, furnace brazed, etc. I like the fact that the PRC rad comes with a slightly better looking shroud and 2x 14” Spal fans where Superior uses 2x 12” fans with no brand listed. However, I was quoted $1015 at PRC for the rad/shroud/fans/internal cooler while Superior lists theirs at $550 for the same setup, which is a major difference in price. Is this a case of get-what-you-pay-for, or are there any real reasons why the PRC one has that much of a price hike? I don’t mind paying for quality. What’s your guys’ thoughts between the two?
Nick_R_23
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.

Re: Superior VS. Performance Rod&Custom Radiators?

Postby lowblazin94 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Man not much compares to those PRC set ups when it comes to quality and looks. I've seen many in person and they always impress. Is this going to be a show vehicle? The radiator and fan set up can be done for much cheaper and still look clean but when it comes to a core support and radiator that's the one thing that matters when it's flashy.
92 S10 Ext cab
700r4
lowblazin94
TheCowWatcher

Postby Nick_R_23 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Not necessarily a show vehicle, just a street rod, however it never hurts to look nice. I know there are cheaper options, but I’m stuck on that offset neck and only these two guys offer that. I’m running a 406 and don’t want to cheap out in the cooling area either, I have no problem paying for a nice piece if the quality is there. I found a few good reviews on PRC, but nothing on Superior. I’ll agree that the PRC definitely looks nice, plus the 5 year warranty is reassuring as well. Any other input?
Nick_R_23

Postby lowblazin94 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Between SEMA and the other large shows i've been to there are no complaints on PRC.

A good 2 row radiator with a divorced water neck will work with Intrepid fans. I'm running stock core support with 2 12" puller fans with an electric water pump and 16AN hoses and fittings. In 100 degree Houston humidity in dead stop traffic it wants to creep below 180. The 16AN hose and modified radiator for those fittings wasn't cheap but its bullet proof and gets plenty of attention at local shows.

The built in and go option seems to be your route so go ahead and buy PRC. If I had the money i'd do the same but $300 in fittings and hoses has my cooling system set now.

PRC can also do custom touches, give them and Superior a call and just see what their techs say. I always call a company no matter what forums or other people say.

Are you running aluminum heads? What are you doing for the transmission cooler or is it an automatic?
92 S10 Ext cab
700r4
lowblazin94
TheCowWatcher

Postby Nick_R_23 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Good to know! :thumbup: I’m in Alaska so I know I don’t have to deal with the extreme heat that some of you guys get comparatively, but even we have had a couple weeks of 100* weather before! I’ve heard about the Intrepid fans (and I may look into that more) but the dual 14” Spal fans is really what caught my attention to the PRC, as the OEM I work for uses them and they are very solid units and move some serious air. Although, they are not cheap and that might explain a bit of the price difference if Superior is using no-name fans.

I also did call PRC earlier today and their tech was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions easily. Not really too much into the shiny, polished, billet stuff myself (I prefer the “OEM appearance” on things myself as much as possible) but as stated before I do really like the bolt-in ability of their setup especially with the gain in room with the inset mounting. I will be running the typical iron 5.7L Vortec heads, and they will be building the trans cooler into the radiator, although I may still run an external one if my setup ends up needing a stall converter.
Nick_R_23

Postby Rickracer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Superior has a great reputation as well. But you could save yourself a bunch of $$ by buying just the radiator, and doing the rest yourself. The pics aren't there anymore, but the "Got Wings?" thread goes into detail on what went into my cooling system build, and if you look at what my truck does, in terms of performance, (.080' over motor, A/C, P/S, towing the race car, race truck, and a bunch of boats, 12.20s in the 1/4 mile), streetability, and reliability, you'll see that it can't get much better than that.... 8)
$125 used Be-Cool 2 row radiator, did the divorced radiator neck and mounting "wings" myself, bolted on a '98 up Intrepid fan setup, did the Vette Pump/Mercruiser Pulley mod, and it's been flawless for over 5 years. :thumbup:
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 7.76 in the 1/8th, 12.24@109.27 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it one of these days... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech
Master Swap Tech

Postby Nick_R_23 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:24 pm

On those Intrepid fans, are there any pictures out there of how they mount or what is required to get them to bolt up? Any modifications or do they fit pretty well? What is their CFM rating vs the Superior fans and shroud at 2700 CFM, and is the depth comparable? I wouldn't mind saving a bit if the quality is there with Superior.
Nick_R_23

Postby Rickracer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:09 pm

There were a bunch of pics before Photobucket screwed everybody over.

CFM and current draw? http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/intr ... aw-489953/

The current draw numbers in that thread are as close to correct as we'll find. I think the CFM numbers in that thread may be a little inflated, but if an Intrepid fan will keep my truck cool, (never over 180°, with a 180° thermostat), with an .080" over 350, with AC, towing, in bumper to bumper traffic, I think it can't get much better than that. :thumbup:
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 7.76 in the 1/8th, 12.24@109.27 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it one of these days... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech
Master Swap Tech

Return to Cooling