GM molded battery cable ends

Interior, exterior, engine, and other problems.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

GM molded battery cable ends

Postby AWD V8 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:20 pm

I don't know that I've seen this here, but I found on another forum that some members didn't think to do this! I thought everybody was doing this. So, just in case not everyone here thinks to do this.

These GM molded battery cable ends look pretty slick, but if you tighten them too much you strip the threads in the battery. If you don't tighten them enough, well you can have no start problems. When it comes time to jump start your vehicle your jumper cable clamp may slip off.

What I do with these GM battery cables with the molded ends, I cut the rubber off with a sharp knife. I then use a 3/8" coarse thread bolt, about an inch long. Thread a nut onto the bolt and then thread the bolt into the battery, finger tight. Now snug the nut up to the battery cable.

This has several benefits;

1) You are using ALL the threads available in the battery. You are threading into soft lead and if you go too tight with the OEM bolt you will strip the threads in the battery.
2) You CAN tighten the nut down more then you can the OEM bolt, BECAUSE you are NOT turning the threads in the soft lead when you tighten, you are turning the threads on the steel bolt.
3) If you want to add an accessory wire it is easy to just slip under the battery connection.
4) If you need to jump start, the jumper cable clamp easily grips the bolt, not that tiny 5/16" bolt head.

Cons
Your positive battery connection is now exposed and you need to be aware of that.

I've been doing this to all my GM vehicles for decades.

Hope this helps somebody.
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8
I eat gummy bears when I post.

Re: GM molded battery cable ends

Postby Rickracer » Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 pm

I do this to my own vehicles too, if they still have side posts..., 8)
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 7.76 in the 1/8th, 12.24@109.27 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it one of these days... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech
Master Swap Tech

Return to Electrical