1rst gen schematics and firewall connections info

Interior, exterior, engine, and other problems.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Re: 1rst gen schematics and firewall connections info

Postby cherokeechief79 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm

this is just a fraction of wires I thought I could safely eliminate.there are still tons more and I get more and more discouraged everytime I work on it.
cherokeechief79
I just gutted everything.

Postby cherokeechief79 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:57 pm

cherokeechief79
I just gutted everything.

Postby SBC CAMEO » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:43 am

88S10Durango wrote:Hi ,good info , my 88 , v8 swapped , no ecm , recently when turning off the ignition key the engine stays running ,what controlls the engine shut down or what to check ? thanks Bill

1) Is your electric fan wired directly to your ignition switch?
I've seen fans act as a generator and feed power to the coil.
2) Do you have a relay to the ignition coil, or is it directly to ignition switch?
I've seen relays on HEIs stick close. Only way to wire up an HEI is directly to the switch.
3) Do you have a multi-spark unit? You're on your own,,, I don't bother with those :thumbsdown:
SBC CAMEO

Postby Dave1214 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:31 pm

I have a 1992 s10 4 cylinder that was converted to a v8 ( truck was in running order). I just got the truck and decided to install a 383 engine with HEI. I would like to keep the firewall block and just remove or add wiring as needed to keep a clean stock look. I was thinking about engine wiring 1.battery connections 2. Alt connections 3. HEI connection including tachometer 4. Starting system. Did I overlook something with ECM interface? I have the engine and dash removed at this time. Merry Christmas guys!
Dave1214
I found rocker arm monkey's on ebay!

Postby Rickracer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:43 pm

You need to keep the DRAC and VSS wiring for a speedo signal. :wink: 8)
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 7.76 in the 1/8th, 12.24@109.27 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it one of these days... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech
Master Swap Tech

Postby Steamer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Greetings, thanks for posting the schematics. I see the colors for the icm (four connection end) is red--blk, ppl-wht, TAN-BLK, WHT. At the distributor my 1987 s-10 Blazer (2.8) has different colors and my problem is: I fixed a no spark condition by installing a new icm but the connector was brittle and broke apart. The two ( or 3) plug went on the distributor fine. The four conductor was broken up. The two connections innermost when vewed from the drivers side fender (I'm in America) are on OK as that part of the plastic connector stayed intact. Those two wires are red and white to my best determination. It's tight and dark back there and if they are striped I don't know. The yellow wire spade I connected to the outermost spot on the icm. The green wire I connected to the next inner connection on the icm. I have spark now but the motor is out of time as if plug wires were mixed up. They are not. My guess is that the high and low ecm reference Signals are at the wrong terminals bUT my failure to find my wire colors on a schematic is stopping me from switching wires (willy-nilly) and possibly damaging the icm if I haven't already. Pretty soon I'm going to give up and just switch the green and yellow connections but I hate to work like that. I haven't been able to find a 1st Gen s-10 in salvage yards to view this connection so I am hoping you can tell me the proper order of my distributor icm connection so I can feel confident in what I am doing. Thank you in advance for your time, hope you can help. Ted.
Steamer

Postby lowblazin94 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:52 am

Steamer wrote:Greetings, thanks for posting the schematics. I see the colors for the icm (four connection end) is red--blk, ppl-wht, TAN-BLK, WHT. At the distributor my 1987 s-10 Blazer (2.8) has different colors and my problem is: I fixed a no spark condition by installing a new icm but the connector was brittle and broke apart. The two ( or 3) plug went on the distributor fine. The four conductor was broken up. The two connections innermost when vewed from the drivers side fender (I'm in America) are on OK as that part of the plastic connector stayed intact. Those two wires are red and white to my best determination. It's tight and dark back there and if they are striped I don't know. The yellow wire spade I connected to the outermost spot on the icm. The green wire I connected to the next inner connection on the icm. I have spark now but the motor is out of time as if plug wires were mixed up. They are not. My guess is that the high and low ecm reference Signals are at the wrong terminals bUT my failure to find my wire colors on a schematic is stopping me from switching wires (willy-nilly) and possibly damaging the icm if I haven't already. Pretty soon I'm going to give up and just switch the green and yellow connections but I hate to work like that. I haven't been able to find a 1st Gen s-10 in salvage yards to view this connection so I am hoping you can tell me the proper order of my distributor icm connection so I can feel confident in what I am doing. Thank you in advance for your time, hope you can help. Ted.

Sorry we missed this. Can you post a picture of the connectors and wiring? I got some diagrams I can look at
92 S10 Ext cab
700r4
lowblazin94
TheCowWatcher

Postby Steamer » Thu May 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello, thanks for responding. I cannot get pics I am not near truck at this time. It is tight between firewall and distributor, and I can see the wires because I have the dist. one tooth off and twisted to maintain correct timing. It has ran fine until the icm went out. Now with new icm it starts and at probably 400 rpm sputters, coughs and dies. Presumably because that's when the ecm kicks in the timing instructions. Sounds like I reversed the hi and low signal wires (I bet the yellow and green wires). I have (starting from driver's side going to passenger side) yellow, green, red, white. Maybe striped I cannot see that closely. If the wiring diagram doesn't have the yellow or green wire then It won't help me. Perhaps previous owner changed pigtail to non-stock colors, I dunno. Most vehicles like this you wont see the back connector unless you turn the distributor way clockwise like mine is. I'm going to try a salvage yard view of this as I have located an old Blazer there, hope I don't get rained out, has rained all week here. A last resort is me just switching these two wires and hoping it works properly (smoke test, runs good, no smoke, is right). I dislike doing work by guesses especially with a sensitive ecm to perhaps harm. Thanks again. Ted.
Steamer

Previous

Return to Electrical