No Dash Lights

Interior, exterior, engine, and other problems.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

No Dash Lights

Postby mixman98 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 am

Hey there guys. I've been working on the electrical side of the build of the '89 P/U that originally had the 4.3. Here's where I'm at so far. The truck will start, alternator is charging the battery, fuel gauge, volt gauge, radio, dome light are working (facatory cluster gauges). Turn signals work. The engine will shut off with the key like it's supposed to. My problem now is that I have no dash lights. I checked the instrument lamps fuse and it is good. Is there a wire in the engine compartment somewhere that sends power to the dash lights? They did work before I started the swap. Also, the wire that goes to the temp sending unit is a single solid green wire that should not be hot right? I also have two 10g red wires that go into a single eyelet that I do not know where they go to (pic).
Larry

mixman98
I just gutted everything.

Re: No Dash Lights

Postby 91Blazer2WD » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 am

"My problem now is that I have no dash lights."
Just to be clear, do you mean the warning lights or the lights that come on with your headlights? I'm assuming you are referring to the dash illumination lights that come on with your headlights.

"I checked the instrument lamps fuse and it is good."
Good meaning the fuse is not blown or good meaning there is actually power in and out of the fuse?

"Is there a wire in the engine compartment somewhere that sends power to the dash lights?"
To the best of my knowledge the power for the dash lights comes off the headlamp switch (I can confirm this later today). Do your headlights work? If they don't that would be a good place to start. If the headlights do work check to make sure your dimmer has not been turned off by accident (You'd be surprised how often that happens).

"Also, the wire that goes to the temp sending unit is a single solid green wire that should not be hot right?"
The wire for the temp sender should have some voltage on it. Maybe not a full 12V but there should be something. The sensor is a variable resistor that grounds out that circuit to supply a signal.

"I also have two 10g red wires that go into a single eyelet that I do not know where they go to (pic)."
GENERALLY SPEAKING, larger red wires like that either supply battery power to a major distribution point (ignition switch, fuse block, junction block, relay) or they return power to the battery from the alternator.
Is that wire hot either key on or off?? Is any part of your fuse box dead?? Back to my earlier question: Do your headlights work?? Originally, was there a small distribution block on the firewall?

I hope this helps

Image[/quote]
1991 S10 Blazer 2WD, full Beltech suspension, ZQ8 swaybars and steering box, 3.42 gears with Eaton Tru-Trac, 4-wheel C5 Corvette brakes w/parkbrake (in progress), SBC swap going in Spring/2018 with Camaro ZL1 NPP mufflers.

1990 Camaro IROC-Z, 350/5 speed, Holley Stealth Ram, Ported Vortec heads, Comp Cams XFI-268, 1 3/4" stainless headers, 3.5" single exhaust w/Dynomax muffler, full tubular suspension, circle track springs (1000lb front/250lb rear), C6 Z51 brakes 13.4" F/13" R, 2017 Camaro 20x9.5 rims, 3.70 cone posi 9-bolt (Tru-Trac to go in 2018).

Jeff
91Blazer2WD
I found rocker arm monkey's on ebay!

Postby mixman98 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 am

Yes I did mean there is power going through the fuse. Dimmer switch doesn't make dash illuminate when turned either way. Yes the headlights are working. The two red into one eyelet is a constant hot (even with key off). There was a junction block on the firewall previously.
mixman98

Postby Rickracer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:22 pm

The two 10 gauge reds go to the junction block on the firewall, which then feeds the fuse block. The wire that feeds the dash lights could be pulled out of the fuse block, there should be a male spade terminal near the fuse that they plug into. Try to follow the dash light wire from the H/L switch, you may find the one that is not plugged in... :wink:
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 7.76 in the 1/8th, 12.24@109.27 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it one of these days... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech
Master Swap Tech

Postby mixman98 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks guys. I'll take a look.
mixman98

Return to Electrical