Tablet for cluster???

Interior, exterior, engine, and other problems.

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Tablet for cluster???

Postby jaymzz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm

I have been reading a ton about using a tablet in place of my gauge cluster. Problem I am having is it is a conversion hybrid build and have been trying to find a wiring kit so all the extra sensors and such can be hooked up also. The only thing I am coming up with is very expensive gauge clusters and no conversion style wiring kits for extra sensors. Everything I am finding plugs into the obd2 port. That won't work for speedometer, blinkers, etc to be legal and then extra fuel pressure sensors, exhaust temp, etc. Anyone know of anything or is it to soon in tech? I was just thinking a tablet would make a great communication source for gauges, music, etc and get rid of so much extra crap. Plus you could change your gauges whenever you want for color and style.
jaymzz
My hoist hit me in the head!

Re: Tablet for cluster???

Postby lowblazin94 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm

You can hard wire the blinkers to indicator lights then get a tuneable speedo and use the tablet to monitor everything else
92 S10 Ext cab
700r4
lowblazin94
TheCowWatcher

Postby jaymzz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Been really looking into this idea. I am actually kind of obsessed with it now. lol
I am building my blazer for a fun reliable rig to drive and after buying my wife's new Subaru with all the fancy dash it has has my head spinning with ideas to bring my Blazer to the modern times.
So after a ton of reading and learning here is where I am at. I have yet to buy anything because still learning, but the possibilities are endless with a little trial and error. And it won't cost near as much as buying all new gauges or custom gauge setup.
Here is the computer part of it. I would have to buy a different case or make my own for automotive use and cooling.
https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberr ... erry+pie+3

Here is a monitor I have been looking at. There are a lot of other alternatives, but think this would fit very nicely in my gauge cluster. It also has mounting hardware.
https://www.amazon.com/LANDZO-Touch-Scr ... uch+screen

There are a ton of programs out there to download for custom gauge setups and to also make your own. I am very much liking the direction this idea is going and looking into other options like climate control, nav, and internet radio on a second screen in the middle of the dash where the radio used to be. Not sure on that one yet, but would be cool. If anyone else is interested as I look into it more I will keep updating. Also if any of you have ideas feel free to share. I love off the wall ideas and different ways to build anything that is outside the box thinking.
jaymzz

Postby lowblazin94 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Really a cheap tablet and a blue OBDII connector with the right app will work fine
92 S10 Ext cab
700r4
lowblazin94
TheCowWatcher

Postby jaymzz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Agreed but that limits what I am after. I did get a cheap tablet and mess around with it but limited with the layout for more options. With the raspberry I can add any sensors I want. I am sure that this is going to turn into another one of my projects that is way over thought, but what the hell. Live by trying something new and if it doesn't work I will have learned something new.
jaymzz

Return to Electrical