Look what followed me home!

PLACE TECH QUESTIONS IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM!! The lounge is NOT a tech forum!
NO POLITICS, RELIGION, or OFFENSIVE TOPICS! RACISM and HATE will not be tolerated!

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Re: Look what followed me home!

Postby AWD V8 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Small update

Finally got back on it after addressing some priority stuff around here.

I was planning on moving onto the wiring after I buttoned up the Y-pipe. I had the Y-pipe and muffler fitted but did not fully tighten everything up. With the plan to fire it up after the wiring is far enough to get it running I had to tighten the exhaust. You can see how close the header collector flange is to the bell housing and firewall/floor, especially on the passenger side. I was only able to get one bolt in and fumbled with another and one not at all. It was so awkward that I pulled the header off and extended the down pipe to make the connection under the floor. It wasn't something I really wanted to redo, but I'm glad I did. The header still drops in just as easy, but now I just slip a band clamp over the joint and it's done.

The last 3 days I've been shortening the engine harness and rerouting wires. So far over 100 splices! The harness is considerably bulkier than I had thought, but I don't care, it's not a show car.
I fired it up tonight. Started right up like a DD should. The cheapo muffler sounds good! Deep purr.

I'll post up some pics later this week, maybe a video.
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8
I eat gummy bears when I post.

Postby AWD V8 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 am

Shift linkage & shifter reworked for the 4 speed auto

Objective: to use the stock shift lever inside the Jeep, 3 speed shifter for 4 speed transmission. Keep the interior looking as stock as possible, no custom shifter. Also I'm too cheap to spend the money on a custom shifter.

I used the lever off the Jeep transmission and cut it down and temporarily tacked it to the GM transmission shift lever so I could figure the geometry. (no pic)

I cut down the Jeep shift cable support bracket to attach to a custom bracket I made for the 4L80

Drill mounting holes in it.

Then I attached the Jeep shifter cable to it. The Jeep cable will now attach to the GM transmission because I attached the Jeep lever to the GM lever.

I moved the shifter through the gears and made a few small corrections to the position of the Jeep lever to match the travel of the cable to the travel of the transmission shift lever. Once I had from Park to #1 gear over the span of the shifter travel I marked out the positions of the gears on the Jeep shifter detent so they would match the transmission detents.

I removed the shifter detent and reworked it so the detents matched my markings.

Reassembled the shifter detent.

Now the real cool part. :mrgreen:

I took the console shift indicator apart, hot knife through the plastic assembly welds.

I put the shifter through the motions and marked where each gear position was.

I took the plastic piece that has the PRND31-2 and sanded off the paint so it was clear.

I have a family member who works in a sign/decal shop. I marked out the gear postions on the shift indicator in the console.

I gave him the tape marked piece and he made a new decal that replaced the old markings, so now I have the correct markings for a 4 speed auto.

Installed and backlit.
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby AWD V8 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Update

I wanted to get this thing sitting on it's own wheels, sort of. I had the 8.8 chained up to the leaf springs so it would sit and roll around, but because the tires are so close to the leaf springs the rear end would shift and then it would not roll and it would also shift off center on my hoist if I let it rest on the wheels, so next time I lifted it I would need to remember to re-position my hoist arms, VERY important.

I got the spring perches removed, needs to be spring over now, not spring under.

Picked up some new perches from the spring shop. I set the axle on jack stands to replicate the ride height of the axle with the wheels on. Need to do this to set the pinion angle. I gently set the Cherokee down with the perches loose so I could shift the diff to get the wheels positioned left & right.

I measured from the caliper mount to the spring and adjusted so each side was equal.

With that done I crawled under and read the inclinometer on the transmission rail and duplicated the pinion angle by tilting the diff up or down. Once that was done I tacked the perches in place.

Measured up for my drive shaft to be shortened. I had an aluminum drive shaft from an Aerostar. Turns out the 8.8 in the Aerostar uses a different pinion flange. The opening for the pinion nut wasn't big enough, I had to have the shop supply an Explorer one. Also the slip yoke in the 4l80 uses too large a U-joint to be compatible with the Areostar drive shaft.

But I got it done.

Mocked up my shock mounts.

A couple of coats of paint now that it's all welded up.

So now to do the rear brakes and then back to wiring. Just need to wrap the loom up using Tesa tape. For those that do not know, Tesa tape is what the German auto manufacturers use. It's a fabric tape that is super super sticky, and the adhesive will not release with the under hood heat. It is super strong stuff. Very hard to find here. I had to order off eBay. 20 bucks for 4 rolls, 25 yards each.

Then need to integrate the LS harness into the Jeep's system, fuel pump, ignition, etc. Then it's drop the rad in, hoses and put the grill back on then then burn rubber!
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby XXXXXXXX » Sun May 14, 2017 1:09 am

Pretty impressive!! The shifter is cool too.

X
82 S10 Longbed.. stock 305.. b&m 144 blower.. 7lbs.. stock 801 heads.. dyno'd 194rwhp...holley 750dp.. percys adjust a jet in the front & rear.. headman 1 1/2 shorty headers.. 2 1/4 dual exhaust with hooker aero chambers.. msd with boost timing master.. 2500 stall .. 700r4 .. 3.42 posi fact s10 disc brake rear end.. caltracs.. 275/60/15 Nitto Extreme 555 drag radials
XXXXXXXX
I use a rag as an 710 cap

Postby AWD V8 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:19 am

Thanks
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby AWD V8 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:48 pm

8.8 rear end is installed. It went much quicker than I had thought.
Spring pads welded in place, shock mounts made and the whole works installed.

I got the engine harness cleaned up and wrapped with Tesa tape. What, you haven't heard of Tesa tape!
This is the best kept trade secret. Tesa brand tape is a cloth tape that is used by VW, BMW & MB on their engine harnesses. It forms itself very well as you wrap it. It sticks REALLY well and is very resistant to underhood temps. It does not relax with heat and release itself.

I've just got to mount my little swap fuse boxes and wire the engine harness into the Jeep's system.

Rear brakes are done. Just a good clean up and new pads.

The biggest relief was getting the rad & fan installed. I had fabbed something up but was not really feeling it was my best work. I didn't like how the rad was supported and the cooling fan didn't fit as nice as I had hoped.
I redid the lower rad support and used a piece of 1 x 2 tubing with some foam strips to support it.

The Taurus fan is a bit too long for the core so I cut it down.

Reworked the shroud and fabbed a support of the lower rad support.

Installed and looking purdy!

I've just got the rad wired on low right now. It still moves a lot of air. If I find out I need more cooling I can wire the high speed.

I've got 3/4" between the fan & the water pump pulley.

Here is a Youtube video with a quick look around on the rad & fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_OLe77lcI

Hoses look straight forward. Spent a few minutes looking at the rad hoses on the wall, picked out 6 that I thought I could make work. 4 will and I just need one pipe to complete the system.

I can already smell the burning rubber!
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby AWD V8 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:13 am

Just a quick teaser for you all.

I just got it running again after the VATS had locked up the PCM. This morning fired it up to bring it back into the shop, just couldn't resist a little play time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-L-XK4rzfs
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby AWD V8 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Small update

Since disabling the VATS I've moved onto the cooling fan controls as I can now program the PCM to control them. I bought a couple of PICO relays and sockets. I used jumpers to temporarily make all the connections. I simulated the ground signals of the PCM and the relays operated the fans. I soldered and shrink tubed everything and started the engine. I was watching my scanner for the magic temp to arise but nothing happened. After it passed the required temp by several degrees I decided to investigate.

I've done many many relay installations, and so far on this I've not had one circuit that I've wired wrong.

I check the relays for and the PCM wires for ground, all was good. I pulled the low speed relay out and checked the socket connections for power & ground. The power in connection was dead. I checked the relay and it had fried itself. The 25 amp fuse was still good but the relay was toast, and it burned the socket connection.

I went and picked up some Hella relays and sockets, much better quality. Rewired the new relays and everything's a go. The fan on low cools the idling engine down from 93ºC to 89ºC in less than a minute. With the hood down the fan is hardly noticeable.

Now I've got just the speedo and tach left to wire up and I'm done under the hood.

I've got several little things to tidy up and it'll be ready for the road, maybe another couple of weeks.
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby Rickracer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:45 am

Progress is good, :thumbup:
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 7.76 in the 1/8th, 12.24@109.27 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it one of these days... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
ImageImage
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech
Master Swap Tech

Postby XXXXXXXX » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 pm

I kept hearing a "squeeling" sound in the video... you may want to check your belts!!

X
82 S10 Longbed.. stock 305.. b&m 144 blower.. 7lbs.. stock 801 heads.. dyno'd 194rwhp...holley 750dp.. percys adjust a jet in the front & rear.. headman 1 1/2 shorty headers.. 2 1/4 dual exhaust with hooker aero chambers.. msd with boost timing master.. 2500 stall .. 700r4 .. 3.42 posi fact s10 disc brake rear end.. caltracs.. 275/60/15 Nitto Extreme 555 drag radials
XXXXXXXX

Postby AWD V8 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:47 pm

That squealing sound is how my camera picks up the sound. No squeal in real life.
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby XXXXXXXX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:49 am

AWD V8 wrote:That squealing sound is how my camera picks up the sound. No squeal in real life.

I was referring to the sound I heard here.. https://youtu.be/k-L-XK4rzfs?t=41s

:)

X
XXXXXXXX

Postby AWD V8 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:55 am

XXXXXXXX wrote:
I was referring to the sound I heard here.. https://youtu.be/k-L-XK4rzfs?t=41s

:)

X

Oh, THAT squealing. I'm expecting that to get MUCH worse :mrgreen:
I'm not old, I'm ripe

99 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'95 AWD Jimmy - RIP
'89 AWD Jimmy - RIP
AWD V8

Postby jaymzz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Looking awesome! My favorite part of swaps is figuring out how to make it all work. :thumbup:

btw love the shifter.
jaymzz
My hoist hit me in the head!

Previous

Return to Lounge