Quad 4 In A 86 Jimmy S15

Need help with an off the wall swap?

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

Quad 4 In A 86 Jimmy S15

Postby xgamer » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:53 pm

I just bought a Quad 4 2.4l DOHC that has never been run for $100. I would like to put it in my Jimmy (has a 2.5l Iron Duke right now) but I have a few questions.

-Does anyone know where I could get engine mounts that would work?

-I have 4wd, do I need a different oil pan?

-Will my transmission (5 speed manual) and transfer case work with this engine?

I have more questions but I'll leave it at that for now
xgamer
I use coil springs as slinkys.

Postby Grappler » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:07 pm

http://www.quad4rods.com
http://www.quad4forums.com

i had this huge reply typed up and then my browser craped out and i lost it.. so here is a shorter version.

the first link has a special conversion ($400ish) bellhousing to use a t5 trans. might have mounts or you could prob use something like 2.8 mounts and some sort of bracket mounted to the front of the motor like it would have had in fwd position and bridge it over to each side.
the blazer mounts are higher and you might get lucky with placement so that you don't need ot get into the oil pan for clearances.. wont know till you get in there.
the largest obstical is the power steering pump and the intake. both are positioned completely wrong for rwd setup. the pump mounts to the cam on the back of the head. if you don't want or have ac, you might be able to modify the ac mount for the pump placement. since its placed low on (what would be) the drivers side. the plastic intake does not lend itself to mofications to make it point forward. i've heard of getting the older aluminum intakes and modifing it or simply making a custom one from steel tubing.
you will also need to make a custom header and since its on the pass side, you should be able to make a full length race style header rather easy.

if your wondering how i know all this.. I'm planning on replacing my 2.5 in my 93 with a 2.3.. i've done alot of research.. but those motor, specially the early ones that were built as factory hotrods are hard to find. hope all this helps.

G
Grappler ('82-5.7 SuperRam-T56-2wd) Table Bound
Gripper ('92-5.7 TunedPort-T56-2wd) Storage Upgrades
MulTpI-R ('93-3.4 MultiPort-NV1500-2wd) Table Modifications
NomaBoost ('94-4.3 ThrottleBody-NV3500-2wd)
QuaDrive ('95-4.3 CentralPort-4L60E-4wd)
MulTpI-2 ('02-2.2 SFI-NV1500-2wd) Laying In Wait
Grappler
Grapplatech Fuel Infuzzion

Postby xgamer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks for answering my questions. I was originally going to put a 350 in my Jimmy but my friend found this engine on quad 4 forums (he has a grand am with a high output quad 4). I was pretty lucky to get the engine for $100 considering it has never been run. I think this engine will be better for a daily driver than a 350 (that may be a future project though). All I want is a little more power than the 95hp my iron duke has.

I probably won't be to the point of putting the engine in for a few months I am trying to research this as much as I can ahead of time. First I'm going to tear the engine apart to inspect everything, then my friend is going to drop it in his grand am so he can fix some problems with his H.O. engine and still have a vehicle to drive.

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind answering them.

-What can I use that is already in my engine compartment (such as alternator, radiator, etc..) on the new engine and what has to be replaced?

-My friend is trying to talk me into putting a supercharger on this engine. Do you know anything about putting a supercharger on this setup?

Well thats it for now. Keep me posted on how your swap goes.
xgamer

Postby Grappler » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 pm

I'm sure you cant use the stock alternator.. though you might get lucky if it bolts up. radiator may work depending on how water outlets are placed. since a super or a turbo never came stock, its custom all the way. youll have to do the research on building and tuning for a super. i would go turbo, since there is little power down low, stealing for a super will just pull more. turbo will feed constant and you can tune it to make serious power. but a super would be a sweet setup regardless of the slight draw backs.

G
Grappler ('82-5.7 SuperRam-T56-2wd) Table Bound
Gripper ('92-5.7 TunedPort-T56-2wd) Storage Upgrades
MulTpI-R ('93-3.4 MultiPort-NV1500-2wd) Table Modifications
NomaBoost ('94-4.3 ThrottleBody-NV3500-2wd)
QuaDrive ('95-4.3 CentralPort-4L60E-4wd)
MulTpI-2 ('02-2.2 SFI-NV1500-2wd) Laying In Wait
Grappler

Postby xgamer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Yeah, I would do a turbo but my friend says he can find a super real cheap. sorry for all the stupid questions but this is the first engine swap I have ever attempted and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info about this. luckily I have my friend to help me, he rebuilt the quad in his grand am and knows a lot about the engine. I guess I will be learning as I go I'm hoping to stay under $1000 on this swap but I don't think that will happen. Oh well, whatever I spend I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. At least the engine was cheap.
xgamer

Postby Rickracer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:26 am

WOW, I would say this is not a good first swap to start out with. Lots of potential probems here. Not saying it can't be done, there is no such thing as a swap that can't be done, just that some are better left to more experienced folks, unless the goal is the trip (the learning experience) and not the destination (a finished, running truck). I think I'd be more inclined to turbo the old Iron Duke. I remember reading an article years ago about a turbo system Smokey Yunick had developed for that very motor (in a Fiero) that was making about 300hp, and getting like 35 or 40 mpg. :shock: :mrgreen: 8)
Rickracer
ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician (well over 3 decades of experience, :thumbup: )
'93 S10 SB,RC, Comp XR276 Hydraulic Roller, Vortec head 363, 400 + hp, built 700R4, JW 2800 stall lockup converter, 3.73 posi, disc brake, narrowed 8.8 Exploder rear, LS Camaro front discs, Cal-Trac clone traction bars, Best N/A passes to date: 8.0 in the 1/8th, 12.75@106 mph in the 1/4, gonna spray it soon... :mrgreen:
76 Chevy Vega Drag Car, TWIN TURBO 355, P/G trans w/ brake and JW 4000 stall vert, 4 link back half, narrowed 9", 3.50 gears, 29.5x10.5W ET Drags. Best time9.669 @ 139.79, Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59riYn ... ata_player
ImageImage
Rickracer
Master Swap Tech

Return to Other engines (non-Chevrolet V8)