turbo buick motor into the S10s

Need help with an off the wall swap?

Moderators: Super Mod, Moderators

turbo buick motor into the S10s

Postby Mossyoaksilverado » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:13 pm

The thought has crossed my mind of swapping a turbo buick motor into my 91 S10. Lighter than a V8 but could run the #s of one. Sounds like it would be a good swap. Anyone tried it or know of anyone that has? Ive searched but havent been able to find anything about it.
Slow rides lay frame. Hot Rods lay rubber.
Mossyoaksilverado
I found rocker arm monkey's on ebay!

Re: turbo buick motor into the S10s

Postby excaliber » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:35 pm

yeah, I believe I have saw pics here of one a while back.
Jamie Sanders
Searcy, Arkansas
Owner: 1989 S-10 383 SBC
Former owner: Syclone #0252,
Former Owner big block 427 S-10

I believe in the right to bear arms, because when seconds count,,, the police are only minutes away.Image
excaliber
Subscribed Member
Subscribed Member

Postby Telco » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:39 pm

The hard part there will be finding one for a decent price, because you have to find a rear wheel drive one to do it. I've seen a vehicle with a front wheel drive engine converted to rear wheel drive, it looked like a huge hassle, not to mention looked like total crap. Find one though, and the required computer system to run it, and you might just wind up with the fastest streetable truck on the site, and get decent mileage to boot.
RIP 1987 GMC S15 ext cab, 2000 Silverado reg cab 4x4 5.3, 2003 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8
Read this before buying Eagle cranks!

Paul Hsieh wrote:Rights are freedoms of action (such as the right to free speech), not automatic claims on goods and services that must be produced by another. There is no such thing as a right to a car – or a tonsillectomy.
Telco
Hammer Down!!

Postby rkmdogs » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:02 am

Years ago, when there was an engine mix-up and shortage in Detroit, GM built some
El Caminos with the Buick V-6 in them.
They also built some Pontiac Firebirds this way too.
However, both of these variations are considered "collectibles" by some, and may be
rather "pricey."
Both of them of course are RWD.
And then you could just go look for a Buick Regal that is old enough to be a RWD car..... :thumbup:
Also, if you get one of sufficent vintage, you don't have to worry about a computer, --- because they were
pre-computer cars, with carbs!
rkmdogs
I oil my belts every 3000 miles

Postby superbee » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:58 am

I belive he's talking about the later mpfi 3.8 turbo gn's. there were a few other older variants of this even with carb setups in regals etc but thats kind of like a 700r4.... same thing, but the older ones are kinda junk. they made alot of improvements over the years with the 3.8.

There are some good articles on the net about the history of them.

Gn motors are on craigslist and egay from time to time. IF you find one at a decent price hop on it.

Fab up some motor mounts. May have to switch to some steel manifolds if the gn ones werent steel already, and do some fab work to fit the piping, maybe maybe not, and your stock v6 rad should be good.

Grab the harness ecm and acsessories and swap her in.
ROWING THROUGH THE GEARS! \/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

94 sunbird- 2.0 Turbo, 20 PSI E85, 5 speed.

-Chad
superbee
#1 A-Hole

Postby piranha69 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:43 pm

I am swapping a 1984 buick Riviera T-type engine into my 1991 s10 as we speak. This car was equiped with a 3.8 liter efi hot air turbo design. The car is a front wheel drive with a offset transfer case style tranny ""i do not know the correct name or term but i hope you get the point"". The internals and factory mounting holes on the engine appear to be the same as that of a grandnational and Regal T-type engine....The differences that i have found on this engine is the unique turbo location directly behind the intake and the special intake that accomidates the turbo location..After reading up i also found out that there was a very very limited amout of 1984 Riveira T-types ever produced..I'm sure me doing this to the car is a tear in a eye of a die hard buick enthusiast but I'm out for difference. As i get futher into this project i will keep everyone updated as best i can...I am free to answer any questions or tips of knowledge to make this swap easier for me and anyone else.
piranha69
I found rocker arm monkey's on ebay!

Postby superbee » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:48 pm

thats great, take as many pictures as you can.
ROWING THROUGH THE GEARS! \/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

94 sunbird- 2.0 Turbo, 20 PSI E85, 5 speed.

-Chad
superbee
#1 A-Hole

Postby Grappler » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:13 pm

any prgoress or updates on the swap? would be nice to see it come along.
Grappler ('82-5.7 SuperRam-T56-2wd) Table Bound
Gripper ('92-5.7 TunedPort-T56-2wd) Storage Upgrades
MulTpI-R ('93-3.4 MultiPort-NV1500-2wd) Table Modifications
NomaBoost ('94-4.3 ThrottleBody-NV3500-2wd)
QuaDrive ('95-4.3 CentralPort-4L60E-4wd)
MulTpI-2 ('02-2.2 SFI-NV1500-2wd) Laying In Wait
Grappler
Grapplatech Fuel Infuzzion
Grapplatech Fuel Infuzzion

Postby gojo83 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:08 pm

The simple way to do this is swap the DS to the PS exhaust manifold of a v6 fbody and use a fbody intake and build a crossover and a turbo mount and you can use the fwd 3.8s that are a dime a dozen anymore.
gojo83
Im working on unhooking my battery cables.

Postby xcab93bayous10 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:25 pm

why not just locate the 4.3 turbo intercooled? they were already in the Sonoma's single cab Syclones and awd GMC SUVblazers Typhoons/AWD astro-van. i read the Astro-van are the easiest swaps and if i couldn't have a first generation x-cab s-10 i most definitely would never settle for any single cab nor them ugly suv blazers. but i'd like an Astro van that mimics a Box top 70's full size van w/o any side windows. like a hippy van minus any weed/hippies/crappy grateful dead type paintings. maybe skulls on red or black would be sweet. no zombies so very trendy nowaday sci fi. i like'd the syclones except they never made one with the extra cab. AWD is bad ass w/a LSx engine i bet!

i maybe 50 years old but i still jam out to Black Sabbath meet Lynyrd Skynyrd type underground bands(if interested checkout the underground bands Las Cruces - Doomed on youtube. southern doom metal from San Antonio Texas as one of 10,s of thousands of bands today that sound like 70's Black Sabbath meet Soungarden etc or Honky from Austin Texas w/a ZZ-Top meet the Melvins). so the bass/drums are a must. thus i need room for my 12"/15" Alpine Subs in correct cubic foot big sub-box w/2 mono 500watt mosfet amps. and mids/highs through a 4x fosgate mid/hig amp. people think i'm ghetto-bootying out 3/4 mile up the road than when i do repsectfully turn it dow upon entering street's. they are surprised that i'm jamming out to Creedance Clearwater Revival, Black Sabbath/UFO/Scorpions/old Judas priest or Fireball Ministry, Dixie Witch, Honky, Las Cruces etc. anyway as a kid i did like to play happy rap like the beastie boys/2 live crew/young mc. but i hated that gangster crap since i was still a kid upon figuring out how to thump to my friend's in Acid Bath & Soilent Green to Suicidal tendencies/Testament/Megadeth/Metallica/Pantera.....

but on topic i am a huge buick fan from the old big block 455 buick GSX that were the fastest cars off the showroom 1969-1970 with a big block that weighs about 25LBs more than a chevy 350. to the 3.8 turbo intercooled GNX from 1986-87. i know where there are several not running GNX 87 Buicks. but a 4.3 is bigger and is already in the s-10/s-15's. if i wasn't already in possession of 2001 Trans Am Ls1 w/already LS2 manifold. i'd be looking for a 500 caddy or 455 buick big block to be really different in an extended cab. or perhaps an AWD astro van! just my opinion. but i'm about to have my truck done by a pro that does nothing but LSx's into everything. so i am willing to pay to have it done right and i will then post pix. i already changed from the 1993 chrome to the 1987 all black front cap/radiator support/new stock hood/black bumper/light doors etc.!!!!!
xcab93bayous10
WHERES THE CAPS LOCK?

Postby xcab93bayous10 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:58 pm

xcab93bayous10
WHERES THE CAPS LOCK?

Return to Other engines (non-Chevrolet V8)